Sunday, September 28, 2014

Trying New Things

This weekend's theme seems to have been a mix of trying new things and fall festivities. On Friday I was finally able to visit the Penn Brewery for their Oktoberfest. You enter a cobblestone courtyard with hanging white lights strung from the two brick buildings that make up the brewery and it really felt like we were somewhere in Germany, except for the fact that the Pittsburgh city skyline was in full view behind us. Just awesome. I am somewhat embarrassed I have lived in Pittsburgh all my life and somehow got in the habit of going to the same places over and over again when there are so many exciting new places to try so I'm lucky that my friends and I are on a new mission to do different things.

On Saturday, we decided to go apple-picking at Triple B Farm during their fall festival, which was really cute and got me really pumped for fall. We had such a good time just walking up and down the rows of apple trees, picking apples, and enjoying the sunny (and warm) day. We had never picked apples before so we weren't sure what to expect (to be honest, I was hoping I could climb a tree, but I don't know much about apple trees). The trees were about 12 feet tall and most of the picking was below eye level, but it was just as fun.
 

  


  That night we went out in Lawrenceville and Shadyside (although I was the only one who had not done this) and tried some fall beers and ciders. I have to go back to Industry Public House for the Arsenal Archibald's Ado Hard Apple Cider. Amazing. And deceiving because it's 8.5% alcohol.

 
 
Also, I have to embarrass myself even more by saying that I had no idea how awesome Uber and Lyft are for getting around in the city. And I didn't really understand how it worked until this weekend even though my friends have used them. I feel like I must have been under a rock for the past few years.

And then on Sunday, Bruce and I went to a pumpkin patch in Wexford. Again, I've never picked pumpkins from a patch. We picked a few weird looking ones and a few huge ones and they are currently on display on our porch stairs until we're ready to carve them closer to Halloween (this I have done, but not with Bruce). Might have to challenge him to a carving contest.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment