Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Thank You



A thank you can mean so much sometimes. As a nurse, I've heard many thank you's, but not many that stick out, I guess. There are so many days in my short time being a nurse I often wish I could spend more time talking with or comforting my patients. Some days get so hectic and I get frustrated or overwhelmed or just tired and I know deep down I could be doing more or doing better.

Sometimes nursing can be a thankless job but every once in a while, a sincere and appreciative thank you will remind me that my job is important and something that I should use to touch others' lives in a positive way. It feels, in some ways, like a small success. Today I was busy and I had, in the back of my head, that feeling of guilt that I could not spend as much time with each patient as I'd like. Now, I should mention I have been a little emotional lately, but when I spent some time with one patient asking her how she was doing and she replied, " You know, you have really spent time listening to me and not trying to speak for me or hurry me. You've let me speak and really hear what I'm trying to say. You've been just so great. Thank you." It was such a relief and I could've cried because I was so thankful to hear that she felt that way. I was thankful to hear her thank you because I knew that even though I may not be Super Nurse, I am trying hard at being the best nurse/person/friend/coworker/etc. I can be. And if even a small amount of time spent helping, listening, or being courteous makes someone feel better, I can feel good about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment