Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Fairest of Them All

One of the trends I have been a huge supporter of is pale skin. I have naturally fair skin and until a few years ago, I would get pretty tan from being a lifeguard (and unfortunately I used to use tanning beds in high school). It was like a process trying to get to the shade I thought would make me look "prettier", "more toned", "healthier", etc. But when I would get to that point, my skin felt bad... and looking back, it didn't make me any of the things I thought it did and I did more damage to my skin than I'd like to admit to. Sorry, skin.

I think so many girls felt and still feel this way about being tan. I went out for a few drinks with my roommates yesterday and the topic came up after we started taking pictures with each other. In all the pictures I was very pale next to my tanned friends, which isn't out of the norm for me. We all laughed about it and when I asked them about tanning, they both agreed that they felt better/prettier tan. And one even said that she prefers the dark tan and black hair look (I think: Snooki- yikes) and thinks that tanned girls are the prettiest. To each, his own, but I can't agree (this in no way means I think naturally dark complexions are not pretty, because they absolutely are, I'm in favor of everyone's natural skin). I think about many of the celebrities and icons that I think are beautiful and many are fair-skinned. I even think about my own appearance compared to my tanned days, and I feel like I am most myself now.

 I love being pale. I think it is classic, and beautiful, and there is nothing more freeing than just accepting your own skin and forgetting about the whole idea that being anything but yourself isn't pretty. I have heard so many comments on my paleness, some funny, some complementary. I am known as "Snow White" to some of my coworkers, I have been asked, 'Have you ever thought about getting a spray tan?', and even 'Dang girl, you need some sun!' but to be honest, I love it. I am different and it gives me the opportunity to tell them how much I like my skin the way it is.
Some of the perks include: looking awesome in dark lipstick, standing out in pictures, and *smooth, healthy skin!*

I think girls should embrace their natural skin and more importantly, protect it, no matter what color it is but I wanted to share some pictures of my favorite girls giving pale skin a good name ;)


^^^ She played Snow White in Mirror Mirror*
^^^ also played Snow White
^^^ promise this is the last Snow White reference
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment