Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New York at Christmastime

I haven't posted in a while! But life has been pretty good lately so there is a lot to catch up on.

Just before Christmas, Kait, Jess, Alex, and I went on a long weekend "girls trip" to NYC! The city was so beautiful just before Christmas with all the lights, wreaths, Christmas trees hidden everywhere, and those beautiful window displays. I got to check so many "have-to-see" things off my list (but then added about 50 more) and it was especially great because of the surprises at the end. Here is a list of the things we did :

On Thursay, we took the train out of Pittsburgh - we were the first on the train to "be bad" as the food car server would say after we ordered Bloody Marys. Once we arrived at Penn Station, we dragged our heavy bags through the subway and made it to our hotel with enough time to get ready and make it to dinner at The Smith where we took these adorable pictures in the photobooth.


Right across the street, was Lincoln Center, a place I've always wanted to go to see the ballet (the list continues). We walked quite a bit the first night because we were just so excited to be there! We walked a little around Times Square before deciding we were all dressed up and wearing heels so lets just go sit somewhere and get a drink. We grabbed a little table in McGees Pub, where we found out after ordering our first drinks, that the writers of How I Met Your Mother used to hang out there all the time. There, we brainstormed some other fun things we could do and Alex suggested going to Serendipity, the cutest place I may have ever been in. We ordered their infamous frozen hot chocolate, and I crave it all the time now. We walked off our full bellies on Fifth Ave after everything was closed, which actually was perfect because there were no crowds and we could take our time. Because we hadn't planned to do much the first night, we felt like we accomplished a lot.


Friday was our busiest day. It amazes me how you can fit all kinds of things in one day, when most days I could sleep through the daylight hours. Anyways, We started our day with breakfast in a little French restaurant. I had a soft-boiled egg, toast, and a chocolate croissant... amazing. We walked to Central Park and this was really relaxing and gave us some time to slow down a little before our long day. We took the subway to Wall St. and then to the 9/11 Memorial. This was the first time any of us had been inside the memorial and we all got a little teary-eyed. I wasn't expecting that.


We then decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge which was very pretty, but also very cold. After all that walking, we needed more food and Jess had been talking about the first ever pizzeria, called Lombardi's. It was right near Little Italy and the pizza was good. We needed it because we were all a little cranky before.
Once we got ourselves together, we went to Grand Central Station. I loved that part too. I think it's the movies doing this to me, but isn't Grand Central Station romantic? Then, again I was also hoping a flash mob would form, but it never did, haha.
We went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner at this little restaurant, Pepolino, in Tribeca. Somehow we mixed up our reservation times and got there 30 mins late (although to us, we were on time). They were nice enough to seat us and the food was very good. We had a nice, but long dinner there, so long that, flash forward, we were running (literally) to our show at Radio City Music Hall.
We made it and didn't miss much.


Saturday was an important day... I just didn't realize it. We started out our day wayyy too early to get blowouts, made trips to Union Square to walk through their Christmas Market and Farmers Market, then we headed to Chelsea where I tried a Venezuelan dessert (yes, as lunch), walked through Chelsea Market, and some of the neighborhood. We were exhausted, and cranky. So we went back to the hotel and relaxed for an hour before Alex wanted to see the tree at Rockefeller Center. Little did we know, heading into a very touristy place the Saturday before Christmas, we would be pushing through crowds and tripping over strollers to get there. I think my exact words were, "We should have come here on Thursday, this is nuts!" Needless to say after we saw the tree, I would have been excited to run far away from all these people. Until we bumped into Tyler and Jess, Bruce's cousin and his girlfriend. I don't even remember what I rambled on to them about because I was pretty flustered as it was. They offered to take a picture of the four of us girls in front of the tree. After, we crowded in to look at the picture and Jess zoomed in on it. Standing right behind me was Bruce making a goofy face. I turned around and he got down on one knee.

And now we're engaged! So crazy looking back on that weekend. He had planned everything and my friends were awesome at keeping it from me for 3 months. I am so happy and thankful. It was a great end to a very important year of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment